Sunday, June 1, 2008

Fun With Grandma & Grandpa Brownell


Chagrin Falls

My Mom and Dad just left yesterday. They were able to come and stay for a week with us and we miss them already!! We started out our week with a trip to Chagrin Falls. It is the cutest little town! It looks like it came straight out of a magazine. The falls is right in the middle of town.

This is a little popcorn shop right at the top of the falls. We stopped there and got some caramel corn and an ice cream cone. It was so yummy!

Birthday Party


Then we came home and had a little birthday party for Jack. His birthday is still a week away but we wanted to do it while my parents were here. It turned out to be so fun! I stayed up late the night before (of course) and made these cupcakes.

Everything seemed to be going perfectly. We were singing Happy Birthday, Jack was smiling, and I was helping him blow out his one candle. But the second I blew it out for him, he grabbed it and burned his little hand!! How sad!! I can't believe I couldn't pull it away in time. I felt horrible!! I had to scrape candle wax off the inside of his hand....Sorry Jack!

Thankfully it took him about two seconds to taste the cupcake and forget all about his little burnt hand. He devoured it! The whole thing was gone in about two minutes.

Palmyra, New York

Jack and Justin at the Martin Harris farm.

We spent three days in Palmyra, NY. It is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. It is neat to be able to be on such sacred ground where so many significant events in church history took place. Everyone should take the time to go there at least once in their life.

This is down by the Erie Canal port. This also has significance in church history. The man who printed the Book of Mormon, E.B. Grandin, bought a printing press that could only be delivered by boat or it would have broke. He received it only months before Joseph Smith inquired of him about printing the Book of Mormon, which he could not have done with the previous printing press that he was using. It definitely shows me that Heavenly Father has everything mapped out just perfectly.


This is the Smith family log home, where Joseph was living when he had the first vision. Moroni also appeared to him four times here.

This is a statue of the first vision that they have in the visitor's center. I love it. It really showed Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ as real people, even just by the look on their faces. It was really beautiful.

This is inside the Sacred Grove. It was everything I ever imagined it to be. It is so beautiful! The feeling inside is indescribable. There is such a peaceful feeling there and a very strong spirit. I still can't believe we had the opportunity to be there! And the best part is, we are going back in July!


They have benches all throughout and trails that lead you in different directions around the grove.

This is the Peter Whitmer home.

This is the very room they organized the church in. It was filled with people, and Joseph Smith also received revelation during the organization.


This is a room upstairs in the Peter Whitmer home, where they translated much of the Book of Mormon.

This monument is on top of the Hill Cumorah where Joseph received the gold plates.

This is at the Palmyra temple looking out to the Sacred Grove.

Johnson Farm


After we came back to Cleveland, we were able to go to the John Johnson farm. This is where Joseph Smith was tarred and feathered. We are sitting on the original steps that he preached from the very next morning.



It was a great week! Thank you Mom and Dad for coming such a long way to see us! Jack misses you!!

12 comments:

Law's said...

Wow! Looks like you have a very fun and busy week. I can't believe Jack is 1 already. It goes by so fast doesn't it. Happy Bday Jack!

Sherwoods said...

How fun you guys! And Happy Birthday Jack! Stace your cupcakes were so cute. How nice to have your parents come stay with you. Looks like you guys had fun and were busy busy. Those waterfalls were beautiful.

Adrienne & Scott said...

Hey! We went private on our blog. If you want an invite to read let me know your email address, if I haven't already sent you an invite. My address is "amj_427@hotmail.com".
Adrienne & Scott Berg

Sara said...

I am sooooo jealous! Palmyra is where I served my mission! It is such an amazing place! I'm glad you got to visit and partake of the incredible spirit!

Hurst Family said...

I didn't know you guys were there!!! We should have hooked up...Ha Ha j/k
I bet that was so great having your parents there, Stacey. You guys are going again in July! That's double the amazingness!
We sure do think you guys are real neat. Some'in else, I'll tell you.
Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Stacey and Justin. Looks like Palmyra is awesome. Cant't wait to go in July. Only 1 month and 2 days until we get there. We are so excited. Looks like you all had a great time and so glad your parents got to come. We may have to have another B'day for Jack when we come. Love you all.....Love MOM H.

Jessica said...

Give Jack's hand a kiss better from us! Hopefully his real birthday will be a better day! The pics from your trip are amazing! Is Jack getting close to walking?

The Heaton's said...

oh man i have been waiting for this post to see all the fun places you visited with your family! it looks like you guys had a blast. that little popcorn town looks so cute! hopefully we can make it out there someday to visit all those neat places with you guys. poor little jack's hand; good thing the cupcake made it all better. cute post, i loved all the pictures.

Kat said...

Ok I feel so bad that we missed Jack's B-day party. I am still thinking of ways to make it up to you. You guys are always so supportive of everyone. We blew it big time.

Denisse said...

Can you guys be any cuter??? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!! I love you guys!!!! It was nice to talk to you today!!!:) Happy Birthday to Jack on Sunday, would please give him a big squeeeeeeze from his aunt Denisse? be sure it's a good one k? Lots of love from Brielle too, every time she sees his picture she says, "look it's baby Jack"!!!!

Matt, Stephanie and Hayden Berglind said...

I was so excited to see new pictures! Yay. Looks like you guys had a wonderful time. I wish I could have snuck there in your mom's suitcase! haha. We miss you guys so much. It must be so fun to have Justin home more! And I bet Jack loves it! What a lucky kid he is to have you both. And your cupcakes were totally Betty! So cute!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for going with us to Palmyra and every where. I t was really fun and the best part was getting to spend time with Jack and of course Stacey and Justin. He's such a cute guy and I loved the HELLO. Thanks a gin for having us. It was a blast.
Love- Mom and Dad