
Here at Case Western there is a free clinic where students can go and volunteer to get additional exposure to dentistry. I decided to go yesterday and see if I could help out. I had heard that during the evenings we could assist dentists performing extractions. I showed up thinking that I would assist and nothing else. Our first patient came in, sat in our chair and the doctor came over and looked at which teeth needed to be pulled. The next thing I know the doctor was looking at me and telling me to pull tooth 5, 6, and 7 (keep in mind that this would require some local anesthetic, which I had never done on a real person before). I went with one of my good friends and we both looked at each other and then at the doctor and quickly let him know that we had never done anything like this before. He didn't seemed to be too worried and just said, "No problem, I will show you what to do and then I am sure you can go ahead and do it." So before I knew it there I was needle in hand and doing my first injection. It was awesome!! I have to admit though my hand was shaking out of control. To make things even more interesting, after we had done the injections we also were notified that we could go ahead and pull the teeth as well. Neither one of us had ever pulled a tooth but we figured what the heck how hard can it be after giving an injection on a live person. So after a little tugging and pulling I pulled tooth 6, my friend pulled 7, and the doctor ended up pulling 5. All in all it was an awesome experience and I can't get enough. I went again today and was able to do part of a root canal, do another injection and some scaling and root planing. It is so awesome to be able to get this kind of experience so early on in my education and I hope to continue taking advantage of it.
10 comments:
Congratulations Justin. How excited for you and how scary for the patient. lol It's great that you've chosen to do something that you enjoy. We wish you continuous happiness in your schooling.
I hope you didn't tell the patient you had never done one before, I'd probably be shaking even worse if I was the patient. That seems like a great opportunity though. It seems as though your enjoying school while having a good time taking some vacations.
How cool is that!!! I can't believe you could even do in your first year. I would be so nervous too. How was the patient? Did he act nervous? Keep up the good work, Dr. Heaton!!!
Justin, that picture made my stomach feel funny!!!!:) You know I get MAJOR anxiety when I go to the dentist! But we are proud of you for being so brave and just going for it!!!!!!! It's cool to see that you are passionate about what you are doing! That is awesome and I know you are going to be an awesome dentist!!!! (You already are!) That is why we need to live close so you can be our family dentist!!! And may be then I won't freak out!!!:)
Ohhhh...I think I'm going to be sick! YUCKY! I mean good work! Oh, that's nasty!
Here at Baylor dental school they do they same thing and we have friends who tell us to go in and have the dental students do it. I've always been a little reluctant...maybe I'll brave it one day and go in. But congrats on your first try! I'm sure it's only the beginning!
Didn't you feel a little bad at causing some pain? Hopefully you did really well at the injection, and he didn't feel anything. :) Congrats!
Oh my gosh! I started cracking up when I read your line about the tooth and how hard could it be to extract. I have assisted on some extractions where the dentist has sweat beads dripping off his forehead trying to get those teeth out! That is so cool that they let you do it! Congratulaions on your exciting day!
~Erica Diddy :)
awesome but a little gross too! that's great they have those clinics for you to learn at. it's always different when it's the real thing huh! well get lots of practice, because i definitely need to come visit you dentist justin (for free, right?!)!
I love root planing & scaling!!! NOT!!! I assisted on a 4 quadrant last week, and it took 3 1/2 hours! Can I just say my arms about fell off!! That is so awesome that you did your first injection - woohoo! So, you are coming back to Utah so that I can be your #1 assistant???!! ha ha!! :) Way to go Dr. Heaton!
Post a Comment