Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Nakagusuku castle ruins

 We were looking for something fun to do one afternoon and decided to check out some castle ruins. Apparently there are a whole bunch on the island. I need to read up on the history of Okinawa and learn more about them. Sadly, most of them were destroyed in WWII, but I think I read somewhere that this one is the best preserved on the island. Nakagusuku is only about 15 minutes from our house. 


 The views were amazing! It would have been even better with no clouds. On one side of the castle you can see the East China Sea, which is behind us in this picture. And on the other side, you can see the Pacific Ocean. It just goes to show you how skinny Okinawa really is!

 He would not leave the house without these glasses and wore them almost the entire time.



 Not sure why I'm standing so weird in this picture...



 There were quite a few spots throughout the castle with this sign saying it was a sacred place of prayer.


Towards the end, the clouds started to break and made our view that much better. This time, we were looking out into the Pacific Ocean. We loved walking around here. We put it on our list of things to do when we have visitors. :) Now come on and visit!

1 comment:

Denisse said...

Those ruins look interesting. I wonder why they were built? I think it's crazy that you can see both oceans from the same place! Crazy. I'm glad you guys are enjoying your time there. Hugs.