Monday, January 19, 2009

Big Boy Bed!

About a week ago, Justin and I decided to take down Jack's crib and put him in his toddler bed. I was a little nervous at first, but Jack was so excited and kept talking about his big boy bed. The first night took us about an hour or so to get him to bed, and the next night a little less. I was pretty happy until the third night when he just would not stay in his bed for anything. I kept thinking, "Why did we do this?!" After taking him back to his bed about 50 million times (it sure felt like that many!) we finally just shut the door. He can't open his door yet so he had no way of coming out of his room. He stood at the door banging on it and cried for a couple minutes and then climbed back up on his bed and went to sleep...go figure. We should have done it that way from the beginning! So now we just say goodnight and close the door. Sometimes he still comes to the door just to check if we accidentally left it open, hoping that he can get out. But as soon as he realizes that it is shut he crawls back up and goes to sleep.

We laid his crib bumper across the floor in case he fell off, which has only happened once.

He is such a good boy. He even still takes his 3 hour nap every day. I usually open his door after he is asleep so he can come out when he wakes up. I love to see him come and find me and hear him so excited and proudly say "Big boy bed!" We have since rearranged his room so it looks better with his bed. I will have to post pictures later. We eventually want to refinish all of his furniture but we aren't sure when or how we want to do it.

I definitely have mixed feeling about my little baby getting so big and turning into a big boy. I hate it actually. It's fun to have him play with you and talk to you, but I feel like it has gone by way too fast!! He's not a baby at all anymore and it makes me sad. I guess that is just part of life. Maybe it is Heavenly Father's way of convincing you to have another one...even if I'm not completely convinced. :) He sure is a cute "big boy" though!

9 comments:

Kristi Clinger said...

I can't believe he's in a big boy bed! Way to go. He is a cute big boy and I think you should have another one.

paigernate said...

how fun! i love the bumper pad in case he falls out- you are so cute! thanks again for coming on saturday... i appreciate it SO SO much!

Mary said...

Way to go! A few times in nursery after you or Justin leave he's ran to the door and knocked on it, crying for you. It's so sad, but sweet too. Pretty sure Luke has those exact sheets.

Sarah Stout said...

Wow... a "big boy bed!" Good for Jack. I'm glad you guys figured out the trick to getting him to stay in bed. :)

P.S. I'm glad that your fire scare got resolved!

The Heaton's said...

well my goodness, he is just moving right along! awesome that the transition went so smoothly.

so scary about the fire. i would have called the 911 too. glad it was nothing!

Denisse said...

I love that cheesy smile!!! So glad he's doing so well with his "big boy bed"!!!...Oh! and I was going to tell you that when we refinished Braden's crib we just sprayed painted it...it was so easy and cheap, we didn't even have to sand it or anything, unless you sand it really smoothly it doesn't look as good I don't think...and it's so much work. I got the idea of the navy blue for Braden's crib from the Pottery Barn catalog. Anyway, can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

Kara said...

That's such a big step. I remember we left Hallie in her crib until four months before Hunter came- She was 2 1/2 years old, but never climbed out. A big boy bed is a whole new level of independence. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

he is sure doing good. Hope it continues. Love that face. He is so proud of himself and he thinks he is such a big boy. That is awesome. Can't wait to see him climb in all by himself. Just two moe days!!!! Woohoo!!! Love, mom h

Nat said...

Congratulations on getting him in a big boy bed! We have to do that with Avery in just a few months, and I'm a bit nervous. Hopefully it goes as well for us, as it did for you. :-) It is amazing how quickly they grow up, isn't it? He's a keeper though, for sure!