
My Grandma Brownell has made homemade bread forever and she has a super easy white bread recipe that I decided to try out. It was a big hit with everyone! I think they look pretty good! This is going to become a regular tradition at our house. Now I just need her wheat bread recipe! :)

White Bread
Alice Brownell
2 C. warm water, approx. 120 degrees
1/3 C. sugar
2 Tbs. yeast (1 pkg. equals 1 Tbs.)
Stir together - Let sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast begins to "work". Then add:
1/2 Tbs. salt
1/3 C. oil
Mix.
Add 3 C. flour - Stir well. Gradually add 2 or 3 more cups of flour until right texture. Kneed well. At least 10 minutes. Let dough rise until about double. Put in loaf pans (2 medium size) and let rise again.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
1/3 C. sugar
2 Tbs. yeast (1 pkg. equals 1 Tbs.)
Stir together - Let sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast begins to "work". Then add:
1/2 Tbs. salt
1/3 C. oil
Mix.
Add 3 C. flour - Stir well. Gradually add 2 or 3 more cups of flour until right texture. Kneed well. At least 10 minutes. Let dough rise until about double. Put in loaf pans (2 medium size) and let rise again.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
5 comments:
Well aren't you fancy! :)
I will have to try the bread when we get home. Are we having homemade bread when we come? MOM H.
yummy yummy, i will have to try it some time. post the whole wheat one when you get it; i've converted everything to whole wheat (even our pasta, and i love it!)
You're such a betty! I'll have to try that recipe some time. I have never made homemade bread before. It freaks me out. But I'll give it a try.
I am looking forward to the wheat recipe. Adam got me a Kitchenaid for my birthday and the wheat grinder attachment. I tried it the other day and they were flat rocks! Mom & I think I killed the yeast by getting the water too hot. Anyway, I'll be interested in tring another wheat recipe. I have been making 10 loaves a week - bread is killing us! I figure, at best it is saving us at least 50%, and the taste is 100 times better! :)
Post a Comment