Friday, November 16, 2012

Dinner time

I do not like dinner time.
Instead of sitting down, enjoying the meal that I just spent the last half an hour or more making, we spend the entire time trying to get our kids to eat. Mainly Anderson. Jack is pretty good overall, but he has his moments of claiming that he doesn't like something. After forcing him to eat it, he chews it a couple times only to find out that it actually tastes good. Anderson on the other hand despises anything with the label "dinner". "What kind of dinner is it?" he asks. And no matter what I say, unless it is pancakes, quesadillas, or pizza, he insists he doesn't like it. Annoying. I refuse to feed him pancakes, quesadillas, and pizza on a regular basis, and in return, we get a meal time full of frustration. We could leave Anderson at the table for an hour and until we actually hand feed him, and make him eat it, it will still be sitting on his plate. The boys often go to the park by our house after dinner and Jack will be long gone at the park while Anderson sits there saying over and over, "But I actually don't really like this." He can't go to the park until his dinner is gone and even that doesn't seem to help. I'm sure he will eventually grow out of this awesome phase, but knowing our luck, he will be 15 before it happens. 
Ugh...

6 comments:

Daija said...

I'm so sorry! We have had our share of frustration with Bridger too. For a long time it seemed like he would only eat if we were the ones to put it in his mouth.
After a lot of talking with my mom (she's a dietitian) we decided that it would be better if we didn't make him finish his food. He only has to take 4 bites (because he's 4) of each thing on his plate. He doesn't get a lot of food - he's still really little - but I think he eats enough and now he will try just about anything. And our meal times are a lot less frustrating.
Good luck! I'm sure things will get easier.

Nat Heaton said...

After reading Daija's comment maybe this is a Heaton thing (ha ha). I have the SAME trouble with Mason. I swear that is why he is so tiny. He hates to eat and especially if it is me trying to feed it to him. I have to get Lexi or Jared to deliver his food and then try not to look at him the entire meal. If he sees me looking at him he is done with dinner completely. So frustrating! So I feel for you! I had a friend who had the same problem and her pediatrician said to just give her son Carnation Instant Breakfast. He said he would get enough nutrients from that, he would eat eventually and not to stress too much about it. I usually try to remember that. Mason drinks a lot of Pediasure because I'm a wimp and hate the eating battles! Hang in there. These frustrating phases are so hard in the moment but when you look back on them, that's all they were - just a (quick) moment. Hope things get better soon! Oh hey, I just thought of one other thing. Jared's dad has us give our kids Bio Nativus Concentrated Trace Mineral Drops. I have been doing this since Lexi was little and we had eating problems and behavior issues with her. They are kind of a miracle. When the kids have had the drops I'm telling you they eat like champs! They are not a "cure-all" but they help so much. Ask Bob about them and he can probably get them for you. I think you can order them on Amazon too. Definitely worth a try with Anderson. Okay sorry about the novel! Hope this helps a little!

Kara said...

Dinner time is the worst! I hate when Hunter claims he doesn't like something because Hallie just expressed that she didn't like it. The minute Hallie starts to say she doesn't like something I quickly put my hand over mouth in a kind smothering fashion! Good luck!

Denisse said...

I have two good eaters, and my boy is not included in there!:) ha! he is so picky! if it were up to him he'd eat pizza, hot dogs and cupcakes for every meal or chicken noodle soup. He is doomed in the height department for the obvious reasons (genes) but he is on the 9th percentile for weight. Anyway, like Natalie supplements with pediasure, I give Braden a vitamin supplement. We've tried everything with Braden, and one thing I've learned is that it can be a control issue, they just want to feel in control. Scott used to get mad at him but I just think that getting upset doesn't work, it only makes it worse. Bites according to age does work for us (like Daij said). I understand your frustration though Stace, we are there almost every night...I'm sure they will all grow to be healthy boys and hopefully not picky ones! :)

The Mortensens said...

UGH!!!! Seriously. Exact. Same. Thing. with Eli. It drives ME nuts!!! I hate the thought of dinner or practically any meal for that matter because all I do is say 100 times "Eli, sit down and eat your dinner."

I feel your pain....

Krista said...

This is EXACTLY what plays out at our house with Ollie man. The "d" word can not be used! If I call it a snack he will at least sit down and look at it for a while...and if we are lucky he'll pick up his fork. Good luck to us all! Three year olds...