We have started a Mississippi bucket list. We only have about six months left to be here and we want don't want to move without seeing as much as we can. We started with the Biloxi lighthouse and visitor's center. The picture above is not from my camera. I didn't get a good shot of the visitors center, so here is one from the trusty Google. We drive by this lighthouse almost every day. It is just down the road from the AF base.
As you can see, it was a cloudy day. I'm thinking we might need to do it again when it's clear, just so we have a little better view from the top.
Jack was SO excited to finally get to go inside the lighthouse. The boys say, "There's the lighthouse!!" every time we drive by it...without fail.
(Can you tell he needs a haircut? A little bushy on top!)
Right inside the door, there are markings representing the level the water came to with each of the severe hurricanes. Hurricane Katrina is the very top. It is crazy to see how high the water was.
Ready to climb to the top! Anderson was much more excited than he looks in this picture.
Hey Mom!!
The light inside was one of my favorite parts. It was so cool!
The view to the left. The big building is a fancy casino, with a few more down the road. I never knew how many tourists came to see Biloxi. I had never even heard of Biloxi until we were assigned here. The people who came on our tour with us were from Spokane, Wa.
The view to the right. Keesler AFB is just down this road a few blocks.
The lighthouse used to be right on the water, but they moved all this sand in to create a little more of a barrier from the water. After they extended the shore line, they also made the road bigger. It's the only lighthouse in the country that is right on a main highway.
Inside the visitors center was decorated for Mardi Gras, which is a huge deal down here. They had some interesting information on the history of Biloxi. It has such a sad story. The hurricanes have made them literally start over from scratch more than once. The images from Katrina were unreal. Most of the historical buildings and houses in Biloxi have been destroyed. They talk about how the history of Biloxi lives in the paintings, photographs, and memories.
The building itself was beautiful, which was obviously rebuilt after Katrina. It had some really cool paintings. This one was my favorite.
I never in a million years thought I would live in Mississippi. And even though its only for a short time, it has been fun to see this part of the country. Hopefully over the next six months, we will get to see a lot more of it!
And yes...Jack can now spell Mississippi! :)









3 comments:
wow! it's going by so fast! you are half way through already! glad you're enjoying your time there. I'm sad and happy to see your kids getting so big. They probably don't even remember us anymore!:( we miss you! hugs to everyone!
I second Denisse - I had to reread the first part of your post to make sure I had really read it correctly. I can't believe you only have six months left! That flew by (for me anyway :-)). I'm glad you have enjoyed it, and admire you for trying to make the most of it. I'll admit, I'm a little jealous of the awesome places you've gotten to live over the last few years. I love seeing the things you do and places you visit. I have to live vicariously through you and your pictures - after all, the Blackfoot Spud Museum is about as exciting as it gets here. :-) Thanks for sharing all your fun outings and pictures and updates. We love you and your darling family!
So fun! Glad you guys are taking advantage of where you are and seeing all you can see! Maybe we need to make a Washington bucket list...such a good idea!
Post a Comment