Friday, August 27, 2010

Anniversary Surprise #2

So besides the awesome day we had on our actual anniversary, Justin left a note on the bed when he left for school saying to pack an overnight bag for the kids and one for myself. It also said to drop the kids off at our friend's house and pick him up at school by 12:30pm. So I did as I was instructed. I was a little nervous because I have never left Anderson but I didn't have too much time to think about it since I only had 4 hrs until I had to drop them off. And we left them with some great friends who were so nice to watch our kids!!
So I picked him up and he informed me that we were spending a night in Niagara Falls. I was so excited to have a little getaway! Not once have we ever taken a little vacation by ourselves except for our honeymoon, so I was super excited. Justin found an awesome deal on a nice hotel with an excellent restaurant in it. The food was SO YUMMY!! We loved all of it.
The next day we started out on the Maid of the Mist. It's a boat ride that takes you right up to the falls. You can see the little boat on it's way back in the picture above.
We're ready to get wet!!! :) I think that the blue ponchos are a good look for us.
Waiting to get herded onto the boat. They fit a lot of people on a not very big boat.
It was really fun though and felt like you were in a big rain storm. The tour guide told us that a 63 yr old school teacher went over the falls in a barrel (for fun....what the?) and survived. He also said a 7 yr old boy was playing up river in a life jacket and got swept down the falls and survived! He was rescued by a Maid of the Mist boat. I just kept thinking how scared that little boy would have been and how terrified I would have been to be his mom.

There are a lot of random things to see there, such as this chair and wax model of the tallest man ever to live.
Our little trip consisted of lots of yummy food, good conversation (without children interrupting us!) and we slept in until 9am, which NEVER happens at our house. Anderson is up between 6 and 6:30 every morning so we are early risers around our house and it was so nice to sleep in!!! It was exactly what we needed.
Thanks for the surprise Justin! Here's to the next 5 years! :)

9 comments:

Sherwoods said...

How fun! We loved Niagra but we didn't go on the boat. Wish we would have. Happy Anniversary to you both!

Cassie said...

oh my gosh how fun! You are brave, I have never left the girls with anyone but family yet! But I would love to have a little getaway without kids, maybe next anniversary! Also I LOVE LOVE LOVE your room makeover! You need to come and help me with mine!

Jenny B. said...

Just catching up on your blog and sounds like you have had a great summer! Love all the pictures...especially the new bedroom! Love it! Hope you are doing well :)

Holly said...

What a good surprise. Good job Justin! Give my husband some pointers alright?

Jessica said...

My train of thought: "Aww, they're so cute! Justin looks so... Yummy! That food looks awesome! Wait. What? Justin. Yeah, he looks so manly with his facial hair."

Lara said...

Oh, that's so much fun! You need to have Justin give Matt a few tips! My 30th b-day is coming up in Feb...

Hurst Family said...

I love what you did to your room! It's beautiful. You should come over and decorate my room - I've always hated our room too.
Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

wow what a fun anniversary. I like the blue ponchos. ha ha. Looks like a fun time. MOM

Chris said...

I love what you did to your room. I have neglected my bedroom also. It has been on my to-do list to redo a dresser for soooo long. I love your white, what brand did you use? I'm assuming you spray painted. I have had such a hard time finding the right white. It looks great! You are so good with colors!!