We went to a dental conference in Atlanta (pictures to come!) where Justin attended a meeting about our next assignment. They announced at the meeting that we would be finding out where we were going by April 16th, if not, sooner. But with the Air Force, I don't really hold my breath for them being early on anything. Well on April 2nd, Justin called me from Florida (another dental conference) and said we would be finding out by the end of the day. This was at noon. I started getting really nervous. I told him not to call me again, unless he knew. I knew if I saw him calling, I would start to freak out and I didn't want to freak out unless he really knew. Well he called by 1:00! I answered and he asked where I thought we were going. I said, "I don't know! Just tell me!" Well when he said Okinawa, I instantly started crying. We talked about us going to Japan all the time, but as soon I knew it was real, I was scared. I didn't actually think it would happen, and it did. I had a slight panic attack. I tried to catch my breath and think about all the positives about going to Japan. This was going to be good, right? We were at the beach with our friends when I found out, and I just started calling all my family and spent the entire afternoon on the phone. I got a little more excited as the day went on.
Lucky for us, we already have friends that live there. We also found out that our other friends got the same assignment! So we will be able to go through this experience with all of them, which I feel extremely blessed for. If I have to live in Japan, at least I don't have to be alone!
Okinawa is a small island south of mainland Japan. It is a tropical island with BEAUTIFUL beaches. I'm excited to have another three years of warm winters and no snow. It is one of the best places in the world to go snorkeling and there are tons of places to go hiking and exploring. we have heard the Japanese people are very nice and that it is very safe.
Never in my life did I imagine that I would live in Japan, but for some reason we feel like this is where we need to be. It was never our intention to even put it on our ranking list. After a lot of discussion, fasting and prayer, it ended up being number 2. How did that happen?! We are still nervous for the unknown, but feel lucky for an opportunity that not everyone gets to have. Our kids are really excited. Of course they have no idea how far away it really is, but they talk about going to Japan and how fun it will be. The one big downfall is being so far from family. We have lived away for the past five years, but not that far away. It will be hard, but we will be begging for them to come and visit!!! We know that it is temporary though, and before we know it, we will be back in the states. So we are going to live it up!!

I mean, who wouldn't want to spend three years in a place like this???

11 comments:
I've already started packing my bags - make room for visitors! Congrats!
Ditto to what Kara said! Holy cow you guys!! We are so excited for you and your family. What an adventure!!!
So awesome and so exciting! I'm just so happy for you guys and I'm so proud to have awesome friends like you! It WILL be great, and it is temporary.... so you'll be home before you know it and it will be one of your greatest, most treasured memories as a family.
Congratulations, can't wait to come visit! :)
You really are becoming world travelers, who knew you would be able to see all the amazing places you have seen. You guys are brave, not sure how I would feel about living on another continent but you will be more prepared to serve a mission someday! Congrats! What was your number 1 pick?
Stacey, I am so excited for you guys! I can totally understand being freaked out at first but I think you guys will have such an amazing adventure. An amazing couple from my home ward just got back from a mission there and they just loved every minute of it. Congrats!!
You couldn't come back to Idaho, huh? Sheesh.
I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!
Holy cow! It looks like a beautiful place to be! I'm excited for you guys! Maybe we'll one day in the next three years have enough mullah to come visit you!
I honestly think you guys will love it! What an experience that you wouldn't have chosen on your own otherwise. So excited for you guys! :)
Seriously... sometimes when we're driving along the coastline, I think, "Do I really live here?" The views are so spectacular!
Holy cow! These pictures are amazing. I have a feeling that you're going to love it there!
This is where Conrad served his mission! And He was in Okinawa for a good chunk of it! We are super happy for you!
Post a Comment