
President Gordon B. Hinckley, 15th president of the church, passed away this evening, Sunday, January 27, 2008, at age 97. I don't think that it has truly hit me that he has passed away. He has been an amazing prophet. I am sure that he is so glad to see his beloved wife, Majorie, but it is so sad for us still here on this earth. What an amazing legacy he has left for us to follow and remember. If I can only be half the person that he was, I will have accomplished so much.

He is someone I will never forget and holds a very special place in my heart. He has such a strong testimony and even on national TV, he could answer any question with such confidence and eloquence. I am so blessed to be on this earth when he was prophet. He has strengthened my own testimony in so many ways. His love for people and his sense of humor are only a glimpse of his sweet personality.
When I was at BYU-Idaho, he came to the dedication of the Hinckley building and gave an incredible talk which many of you heard. It was truly a blessing to be there listening to a prophet speak to you. Here is my favorite part of his talk...
"I wish for you nothing but the best. You are so choice and so wonderful and the future is so great that you can't afford to betray yourselves in anyway or to do anything less than that which each of you is capable of accomplishing. You don't have to be a genius. You don't have to be a straight-A student. You just have to do your very best with all the capability you have. You have to do your very best. And somehow, if you do that, God will open the way before you and the sun will shine, and your lives will be fruitful and you will accomplish great good in the world in which you take a part. I couldn't wish for you anything better as I look into your faces this day."
I love that! I love that he tells us that we don't have to be perfect. All we can do is try our best and we can be happy. I love that talk, I love President Hinckley and I love all that he has taught me.
6 comments:
I was glad to see the Prophet when I looked on your blog. Thank you guys for what you wrote! Your words brought tears to my eyes. Nicole B
Thank you for sharing your testimony of our dear, beloved prophet. It was so hard for me to hear the news. I was worried how my girls would take the news. He's all they knew as prophet. They would get all excited to see him on General Conference and would always pray for him. We told them this morning and there was some questions, but they handled it great. I was amazed. What great faith and trust they have in us as parents and their teachers.
Mitch and I were so sad and kind of shocked but not really because we were looking up articles on the internet about him and there was one about marjorie and him, and he said that he hopes and prays when one goes the other will closely follow and it has almost been 4 years! What a happy day for him to see his wife and love again but so sad for his family on earth and all of the church members that cherished him as a prophet so much!!
Wow, I had no idea. I'm happy for him that he's finally on the other side. I wonder what he did yesterday that finished his work here on this Earth. He was an amazing man and your testimony was so sweet. Thank you.
Oh Stace! You made me cry!!! I will sure miss this man, his words of encouragement and his wit! Thank you for sharing your testimony. I think we are all better because Gordon B. Hinckley was the prophet. And I remember vividly the day he gave that talk at the dedication of the Hinckley building. I cried like a little girl and felt the Spirit stronger than I've ever felt it! We were blessed to be there that day!!!
This was a really neat post Stace. Thanks for putting it up. It was nice to see all those cute pictures of him. Sad for us, but happy for him to be able to hug his sweet wife again. Can you imagine? I'm so grateful for him and especially for the plan of salvation. We're so lucky. Love you. :)
Post a Comment