Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Random Okinawa wrap-up

After we got back from Hong Kong, it was time to get ready to move. There is so much that goes into moving across the world and not to mention separating from the Air Force at the same time. These pictures are just a random collection of things that we did leading up to the move.

 The missionaries came and helped us paint our walls back to white. I took a picture of the kids height that we had been tracking for the past year before they painted over it. I can't believe how much they grow in a single year.


 Taylor was a trooper through the chaos. These striped pi's were my most favorite thing for him to wear. How can you not love those little stripy legs and a stripy diaper bum?!

We went out to dinner on the water with our friends the Fryar's. After we went into a Japanese furniture store and could not stop laughing at how miniature everything is. That stool that Justin is sitting on is legit. That is actually something they sell! And for adults. You feel like you are in a kid's store. This was a fun night.

 We went to Hollie and Adam's house to celebrate a birthday and every time we started singing, Taylor would start crying. It was funny and sad all at the same time.

 Spencer and Suzy were moving and we had a get together at the park. I hate goodbyes.

 I had one of my last activities with the young women in my ward. While in Oki, I served in the district young women's, then in the ward young women's, and then became the young women president just a few months before we moved. They are a great group of girls!

 We had a park day at Dolphin Park. These two little buddies were attached at the hip. While we were eating lunch, a group of Japanese preschoolers walked by and I wanted to snatch one up to take home with me. They are so adorable in their little hats!

 Another park day to say goodbye to the Jenks. More tears, and more sadness. I honestly hate goodbyes. We've moved so many times and it rips my heart out every time.

 I was especially sad for these two. At the time, we had no idea when we would see each other again. My heart was hurting for Anderson.  He cried, I cried. It was sad.

 Justin and I helped out with our last district young men and young women activity. It's rough  having to go help when the activity is on a gorgeous beach. ;)

 We swam at a nearby pool. I loved that it was on the beach because you get the view without having to clean up all the sand! The best of both worlds.

Jack had his last day of school! And as you notice, we shaved the boy's heads. We got lice as a going away gift. :) But on the bright side, they were ready for summer with that haircut!
 Justin had his last clinic day, and the last day in his uniform. We look back on our military days and we are so thankful that we did it. It was not easy at times, but we would not trade our experience and the many blessings we received from being the Air Force. It was definitely the right choice for our family and we will be forever grateful!



 We were still trying to get Taylor to eat solid foods with little to no success. But he was happy and healthy, so we were ok with that.

 We went to Okuma for the last time. This beach is beautiful and the sand is so soft. One of our favorite Okinawa places.



 The movers came and packed up our stuff. It is a little frightening knowing that every single thing you own is being shipped across the ocean and you won't see it for weeks. I wasn't sure I was ever going to see it again!

They shoved it in the crates...

 nailed them shut...
 and drove away! I have to admit that when they pulled away, a tear came rolling down my face. It was all very real at this point that we were moving back to the states. I was excited and terrified at the same time. Change is hard and it never seems to get any easier, no matter how many times we move.

 We ate as much yummy Japanese food as we could. Sushi, gyozas, edamame and fried rice for days!



 We tried to sneak in as many beach days as we could as well. This one is at Sunset beach that was just a few minutes from our house.



 We had to go to Arashi's, which is our favorite fried rice of all time. The boys love putting the money in the vending machine to place our order. Justin and I got to the point that we used chopsticks at every restaurant. I'm sure my skills are lacking now, but we were pretty proud of ourselves!




 Mmm...I can still taste it.

 The boys went on one last ferris wheel ride at American Village.





 We got ice cream at Blue Seal. They have some seriously yummy ice cream. My favorite was Okinawan salt cookie.



 I took the boys to an event on the flight line where they got to see inside a bunch of the helicopters and airplanes. It was blazing hot, but we really enjoyed it despite the heat.
 While we were there, we got to see our friend Sami in her Taiko performance.





 Planes and more planes! These two were in heaven.




 This is from our friend's instagram but it made me laugh so hard. One of our most favorite things is reading Japanese translation fails. It kills me every time.

 Ninja fun at Newport Sushi. Again, more food!


 More goodbyes. We stopped by the Wilkinson's house. When we first moved here, I randomly found out that Melissa and I are cousins. Our grandmas are first cousins, and our great grandpas are brothers. It was really fun knowing that we both had family all the way in Okinawa. Melissa was so nice to me, especially after I had Taylor. She was so helpful and someone I will never forget. We got together for FHE and shared stories of our families that grew up in Cowley, WY. It was fun to see how our grandma's stories intertwined.

Phew, that was a long post. My next post is our last hurrah/disaster before leaving Okinawa!

No comments: