Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Shurijo Castle

 During winter break, we went to see the Shurijo castle site. Most of it has been rebuilt after being destroyed numerous times due to war. The last time, was during the Battle of Okinawa during WWII. 


 I would have loved to have seen this when it was first built. The exact date of construction is unknown, but they do know that it was used as early as 1322. How crazy is that?





 Of course we have to take our shoes off inside. It's been fun learning some of the Japanese culture.


 This is a big courtyard in the middle of the castle and gates. I loved the stripes!




 This is a model of what it would have looked like with all the people during a ceremony of some sort. 



 Anderson thought he was being funny while I was trying to take a picture of him.

 




 He wasn't so happy when the ducks started coming around. He freaked out! Poor little guy.

On our way to the car, I wanted to take a couple pictures of some everyday things in Okinawa. The girls wearing a surgical mask is something you see ALL the time. Everywhere! They wear them to keep from spreading their own germs and from getting other's germs. 

 This a very typical house in Okinawa. Square and concrete. It is very rare for them to have a yard. Most of them have a gate around them and a teeny little spot for their car.


 I don't know if you can see them in the picture, but the dogs on either side of the gate are called shishi dogs. One has an open mouth to keep out evil, and the other has a closed mouth to keep good in. These are on every house, and almost every building.

This drink machine is also something you see all over the place. It doesn't matter where you are, you can almost always find one. 

We are starting to get used to things here. It is still so different, but we are glad to be here. We have almost been here for 6 months already. Sometimes I feel like we are just on a long vacation and that we don't really live here. I'm not sure when it will completely set in. Probably when it's time for us to move again!

4 comments:

idaho grandma said...

It is so very fun to be able to experience Okinawa with you guys. Thanks for sending lots of photos. The kids get taller every week we see them. Love that Jack has the map and is keeping track of where you are going and so that you can find where you need to go and not get lost. He sure loves maps!!! Love Anderson's funny face too!!

Unknown said...

How fun! Your boys look adorable, as usual :) I loved the post about your Grandma. She was one incredible lady, and will be missed by anyone who knew her. She sure raised a wonderful family!

The Mortensens said...

I love your updates Stacey!!

Brian and Bobbie said...

What a fun place. I'm so glad you take lot's of pictures and keep your blog updated!