Thursday, January 3, 2013

{long!} December wrap up

 As soon as Thanksgiving was over, we went into full Christmas mode. First thing we did was put up the tree. I'm not sure who was more excited....me, or the boys. Of course Justin gets excited too, but something about Christmas makes me so happy! I love Christmas music, seeing the lights glowing on our tree, and our basket full of Christmas books that the boys want us to read to them over and over. It's definitely my favorite time of the year.



 Our most requested book of the season has been Snowmen at Night. A close second, Snowmen at Christmas. We love the snowmen books!

 The boys wrote letters to Santa. 

 They held a little Christmas fair here on base. It would have been a lot more fun if it wasn't freezing cold and raining. It wasn't too bad when we first got there, but it progressively got worse.




 By the time they made it to their third ride it was so windy and rainy! We decided to head out and warm up with some hot chocolate at Starbucks. 

 We took lots of pictures in front of our tree. I can't get enough of these two in their handsome sweaters. My sister, Angie, has a slight sweater obsession, and we are lucky enough to inherit all of them! Not every day in Okinawa is cold enough to wear them, so when it is, we take full advantage. 

 We had an elf visit us this year, who we named Alex. This was such a fun thing for us! The boys would wake up every morning and instantly run to find him. Alex was pretty funny. He gave the boys mustaches, rolled down the stairs in a roll of toilet paper, and was being held hostage by army guys. I'm already looking forward to doing it again next year.




More sweaters :)


 I pulled out this picture from the Christmas boxes. Jack was 18 months old. We went to visit my family that Christmas and he ended up having the flu the whole time. It's hard to believe that little guy has turned into this boy who is growing out of his clothes by the minute. His brand new pants that I bought him for school are already too short. When did this happen?? 
 I saw that shirt online and HAD to buy it.


 I went to a Japanese cooking class at my friend Amy's house. Yukari (second from the left) taught us about the Japanese lunches which they call bento boxes. Their school lunches are crazy! Every single day, the Japanese moms get up early and make an elaborate lunch that is made into a character or an animal. One of the Japanese missionaries came to our house and told us that when he was an exchange student in the states, his host family gave him frozen burritos for lunch every day and he hated it. He was missing his bento box lunch!
 This was the one that we made. It was pretty simple compared to some of them. 
Here is an example I found online. They are so detailed!! And this is what they do every day. I was feeling pretty lame as I thought about the lunches I pack for Jack.




I added a bunch of music to our Christmas playlist this year, this one being my favorite. Joseph's Lullaby by MercyMe. If you haven't heard it, you should. It's really pretty.

 Gingerbread houses were a hit with the boys. I'm pretty sure more candy went into their mouths than on the houses.

 We drove down to the Itoman lights with some friends. We all felt a little underdressed. It ended up being cold and windy. The lights were pretty impressive, but we saw the whole thing in about 20 minutes. Which, I guess with the weather, ended up being an ok thing. 



 And here we are at Christmas Sunday! This is one of my favorite days. I actually love when Christmas falls on a Sunday, and almost wish it could be that way every year. It's such a good reminder of why we do all this holiday stuff in the first place. We did a scripture advent calendar with the kids this year and it was amazing how much they learned about the Savior. Every night they were so excited to see what our Christmas scripture would be about. It was definitely something to melt your heart a little. Our scripture advent has now secured itself as a Heaton family tradition.



Wow, that was a long post! Unfortunately with all the holiday hustle and bustle, my blog fell to the wayside. A couple more posts and I'll be caught up for the New Year!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, what fun! It's good to see you still had a Merry Christmas in far away Japan. LOL!
Your boys are so cute in their Christmas sweaters!!!
Those Bento boxes are crazy, right?! I heard of them last year, when Davy started school. I bought some cute animal forks online and put in his lunch and he got mad! He said they are for babies!
I love that picture of Jack with the scarf from the Christmas card long ago. Your cards are always so cute. I kind of hate sending you one of mine because I know it's going to look lame compared to yours!
What scriptures did you use for your advent calendar? I found one online and printed it out, then when we started reading them we thought they were odd scriptures to read at Christmas time.
Glad to see your smiling faces! You all look great!

Unknown said...

What a fun Christmas! I love all the pictures, especially the one of your cute boys in their sweaters :) They are adorable! And I had to laugh because the song by Mercy Me is one of my new favorites this year too! Of course, we would love the same song at the same time even when we are miles and miles away. Love you Stace!

idaho grandma said...

What a great post and don't ever worry about it being a long post. We love to see all the pictures and hear about all the things and places you have seen and done. I love the sweater pictures. I loved the mischevious elf ideas!!! That one with him marking up the photos made me laugh out loud. That was soooo cute. They were all fun, but that one especailly. Keep the blogs comoing. Love you guys.