Thanksgiving weekend, we went down to the very southern tip of the island to the Peace Prayer Park and museum. It's a memorial for WWII and specifically the Battle of Okinawa. It's a very sobering place to be. The Battle of Okinawa was one of the worst in the Pacific side of WWII. Over 200,000 Japanese died (civilian and soldiers) and somewhere around 62,000 Americans casualties, with over 12,000 dead or missing. Being there was a very eye opening experience for us.
The park itself is extremely beautiful, and despite the sadness that you feel, there is also a great sense of peace there. The whole experience is hard to describe. Just being there brings a lot of emotion.
These strands of origami were one of my favorite things we saw. They were placed at different monuments with a tag on the end. I wish I could read Japanese so I could know what they said. This wasn't just a little pile of origami either. I can't even imagine how long it would take to fold enough papers for just one strand! It was amazing.
There are a bunch of caves throughout these cliffs. The Japanese used to hide in them during the day and come out at night, hoping to find food and other shelter. The Japanese soldiers had brainwashed the Okinawans into believing that if they were captured, that the Americans would torture them in indescribable ways. They were urged by the Japanese soldiers to commit suicide in mass numbers. Some of the soldiers would give Okinawans grenades or convinced them to jump from these very cliffs.
Like I said, it was a very eye opening and sobering place to be.
The boys were just having a great time playing and enjoying being outside. We tried to tell them a little of the story of the war, but they are still so little and unaware of the huge tragedy that it was. In some ways I envy their innocence, not knowing all of the terrible things that are in our world today.
There were rows and rows of all the names of those who died in the Battle of Okinawa.
Despite all of the sadness we felt, it was such a great day. Justin and I enjoy history so much and love learning as much as we can. Going there made us both grateful to be in Japan and having such memorable experiences. It was one that we won't soon forget.





1 comment:
Wow, that looks like a really awesome place to visit, such beautiful views. And very sobering.
Post a Comment