Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Katsuren castle ruins


 Right before Thanksgiving, we went to the Katsuren castle ruins. I find all the castle ruins so interesting. Justin and I always talk about how we wish we could see them in their prime, and how things were back then. Apparently, this kingdom, defeated the kingdom of the first castle that we went to (Nakagusuku). This one was a lot better preserved than Nakagusuku was, which was fun to see.




 Jack, Anderson, and Sydney.
Unfortunately, Anderson wasn't feeling too good that day. Justin had to take him all the way back to the bathroom multiple times while we were there and his smiles were few and far between. Thank heavens Justin was there. It was a trek just to get up to the castle! 


 How about that view?!

Jack and Sydney were exploring buddies while we were there.






 I have I mentioned before that these little photo things are everywhere??

 After the castle, we went and did a little beachcombing. On the way we saw an old lady on this funny little three wheeled moped. There are so many funny things about Japan. I need to keep my camera with me everywhere I go so I can get pictures of all the things here that make us laugh.

 The beach we went to was so beautiful! It was on an island, but I can't remember the name of it. There were some clouds that day, and every time the sun would come out from behind the clouds, the water would immediately turn bright blue. But then it just looked like normal water when the clouds would cover up the sun again.


 There were TONS of teeny tiny hermit crabs. If you got close to the sand and watched, you would see them moving everywhere. They were so little!

 We passed this little farmer on the way home, just sitting in the middle of his field. We wondered what he was thinking about.


 The roads to the beach were super skinny. Two cars could barely fit and only in certain spots. The houses are all separated by a concrete wall, which is very common here. 
Exploring has been our favorite thing to do here. I love that every time we go somewhere, we see stuff that is so interesting and that you would never see in the states. Even doing our everyday things has been an adventure! We just hit our 4 month mark (in a couple days) and we are amazed that we have been here that long. Christmas is in a two weeks! Our first of THREE Christmas's here. When I think of it that way, I get a little overwhelmed. On the other hand, we feel like there is so much we want to do here and if we weren't going to be here for 3 years, we would never fit it all in. So we just try and enjoy our time here and soak it all in while we have the chance. 

3 comments:

Spencer & Suzy said...

I just blogged about this too, and laughed that Spencer had the camera on the beach and took zero pictures of the view. So thanks for capturing that! I love seeing so many pictures of Jack and Sydney playing together :)

Holly said...

Do you ever get to come home?? We are coming to visit either in 2013 or 2014. So be ready for us!

idaho grandma said...

You guys are going to have some great memories. What an adventure for your famiy. I love the hermit crab you are holding Justin. Remember the big one you were trying to hold so I could get a picture in Mississippi? That thing was huge compared to these. Love that the kids are getting to go and see to many places. Your great photos will help them remember when they get older.